Teagan's Sandbox

Mom Life

Teagan’s Birth Story: Part One

I woke up on the morning of Wednesday, June 15th feeling completely fine. Ironically, the last few weeks of my pregnancy were the only times I truly felt comfortable. My nausea had gone away, I was sleeping well, I had energy. Since the start of being able to feel movements inside my belly, Teagan always had her days and nights figured out. She would kick all day long and sleep at night.

Her official due date was Sunday, June 19th but I had an induction date set for Tuesday June 21st if she didn’t make her arrival before. I headed to work on the 15th just like I normally would. By 10am it occurred to me that I hadn’t really felt her kick at all that morning but I thought I might have been crazy so I ate something sweet and drank some orange juice just to try to get her to move around or wake up.

By 11am, still no movement so I gave my doctors office a call but of course they were closed for lunch hours so I had to leave a message. An hour and a half later I still hadn’t heard anything so I gave them a call back. The nurse asked me all the normal questions, asked what I had eaten and so on. Since Teagan was typically a very active baby and none of the normal tricks were working she said the doctor wanted me to head to the birthing inn (hospital) to get checked out. I had been there several weeks before with some pre term labor symptoms so I knew the drill.

I headed home first and made some work phone calls. My sister was there watching a friend’s baby so we hung out for a little. Honestly, I was nervous due to her lack of activity but oddly enough I was acting pretty calm. I even told Cary I thought everything was going to be fine so just to stay at work and if anything happened I would let him know. I got to the hospital about 2pm and they got me all hooked up.

Everything looked fine, her heartbeat was good…until it wasn’t. Her heart rate dropped from 140bpm down to 80bpm. It only lasted a short time but it happened several more times. Enough for the nurse to go ahead and call my doctor. He came in, checked me, and wanted to send me downstairs for a full ultrasound to make sure she had enough fluid in there.

He seemed concerned and I remember feeling really scared for both of us. That little girl and I had already been through so much, I couldn’t bear the thought of something happening to her. It seemed like hours before someone came to get me for the ultrasound. At that point I called Cary and he was on his way. Turned out everything with the ultrasound looked just fine, they even said they could tell she had some hair. After that I felt pretty relaxed.

When I was taken back up to triage, Cary had made it. A while later the doctor came in to check me and go over all the results with me. I was about a centimeter dilated but he said my cervix still hadn’t softened up much. To me that told me it wasn’t time. She wasn’t ready. The doctor started talking more and said he was on call Saturday and asked if we wanted to come in and start the induction then. I felt all the blood leave my face and could feel my body start to sweat. Meanwhile Cary was like “but it’s our last weekend…” at the time I was like seriously Cary, but now I’m like damn he was so right.

Then the doctor said “actually I think we need to get you set up tonight.” WHAT? He began his rationale that her heart rate dropping so much wasn’t something he liked to see and explained how he can’t monitor us at home and he didn’t want to take any chances. It made sense but I was terrified. I had been there all day and at that point so mentally and physically exhausted I asked if we could go home and get our stuff and some dinner.

He explained that I had to stay there and that they were already getting my room set it in labor and delivery. I don’t remember another time in my life where I felt as scared as I did in that moment. Scared because he was worried about Teagan enough to want to get her out sooner than later. Scared of starting labor and the pain. Scared of giving birth. Scared at the possibility of a C-section. My mind was racing and I couldn’t stop. I was terrified of every unknown.

By this point it was about 6pm. At 6:30pm the nurse came in and put the cervidil in in an attempt to soften my cervix and get the process started on its own. She told me that I wouldn’t be able to get up for 2 hours and if nothing happened by 7am the next morning then they would start me on Pitocin.

Well less than an hour later, my contractions started. It felt like things got real really fast after that.

Stay tuned for part two 🙂


  • Cary April 17, 2017 Reply

    The suspense is killing me…What happened next?!

Leave a Reply to Cary Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hey everyone! We’ve teamed up with some amazing shops for one lucky person to have a chance at winning all of these goodies👇🏻
1. A customized set of 10 10ml roller bottle labels from @idaho_urban_designs
2. A Young Living Stress Away Roller from @jenny4gaskell 
3. A customizable Diffuser bracelet and square Roller Bottle from @blooming.rae.designs
4. And $20 Etsy store credit from @floatingfeatherco —
How to enter? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Details:
1. Be following all 4 insta accounts🚶🏼‍♀️🚶🏼‍♀️🚶🏼‍♀️
2. Like the above picture on all 4 accounts 👍🏻
3. Tag 3 friends in the comments 👭
Tag additional friends for more entries!
Giveaway ends Wednesday July 25th at 5pm Mountain Time! The winner will be announced within 24 hours🏅
This giveaway is open to US accounts only.
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by Instagram.
  • When did this belly get SO big? 😳 I’ve gained 14 lbs so far and I’m pretty sure by the looks of it that’s how much my son currently weighs 🤣 #30weekspregnant today and we are knee deep in house projects. What better time to start right? I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 💙
This amazing dress is @beachcoco_maternity and I’m obsessed it’s the softest fabric ever! Go check out all of their adorable clothes!
  • I am soaking up every single last minute of her being our only baby. 💕 I won’t lie, some days I feel really sad and really guilty. Sad that our days alone together are numbered and that she will never remember a time in her life when it was just the 3 of us and she was my entire world. Guilty that she’s still so young and we could’ve waited another year and just soaked in more time with her. This baby boy is so wanted and so loved but they are all hard emotions to work through. I’m sure these are normal feelings as your due date inches closer and I know the best gift we could ever give her is a sibling but it’s still hard. Any tips or tricks to make the transition easier for everyone? 💙 #29weekspregnant #waitingonbabybrother
  • Having a child is the best ever. She has a way of making even the smallest things feel magical 💕
  • Here’s a little real life for ya. I’ve been trying to clean out our guest room for a week to try and begin making it into little boy Gaskell’s nursery and it’s not going as planned. I managed to fill that trash bag and sort some clothes. Everything gets harder with each week of pregnancy and having a toddler makes it insanely difficult. I’m getting so anxious because I feel like nothing is ready. My husband keeps reminding me that our babe will be in our room for months and they need like 4 things for survival. 🤣Thank God for that man. The ying to my yang @carymegaskell 💙 #28weekspregnant #28weeks6days #29weekspregnant
  • The best and only curve God have my body was the baby bump 💕💙 #28weekspregnant #28weeks5days 
I hope people aren’t sick of the baby bump pictures yet because they aren’t going to stop. I think it’s such an important journey to document. I took a lot of bump dates with Teagan and I love looking back at them. I’ve learned through my miscarriage in December that you can love something so much from the start and instantly it can be taken from you so cherish every single moment. It’s an odd feeling to sit and wonder what that baby would’ve been like while also being immensely grateful for this little boy growing in my belly. God’s timing is always right and both of my babies are a daily reminder of that. Always trust his timing.
  • Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people ever!! @t.beaston its crazy to think I stumbled upon your page a little over a year ago and now you are one of my closest friends! We are celebrating birthdays, pregnancies and soon to be new babies!! I hope your 30’s are everything you hope and dream for and I can’t wait to make alllll the memories 💕👯‍♀️ #28weekspregnant #33weekspregnant #pregnantbesties
  • Pregnancy goal: use belly as a table ✅ #28weekspregnant #thirdtrimester 
I’ve never done an introduction here and have a lot of new faces around here so figured I’d do one!
1. My name is Jennifer but people either call me Jenn or Jenny
2. I’m 29 and married to my bestie! @carymegaskell 💕 We live in a Virgina suburb of DC. 
3. We have a 2 year old daughter named Teagan and she’s a redhead and sassy AF. 
4. Currently pregnant with our son who still has no name 🤦🏼‍♀️ due in late September 
5. I love essential oils and am really passionate about ditching and switching the toxicity in our home in a realistic non crunchy way 🤣
6. I have a blog but I am not consistent whatsoever and that’s totally okay!
7. Social media has been a huge blessing and I’ve connected with so many amazing people and I can’t wait to connect with more of you.
8. I try my best to be open and authentic so ask me anything!
9. I graduated with my bachelors degree and worked in the intelligence community for a few years before transitioning to SAHM life in early 2017. 
10. What about you? Are you a mama? Oil lover? Pregnant?