I’ve been going through my phone and camera the last few days and I’ve come across so many old pictures of Cary and I. We’ve been together for almost 5 years now so lots of memories. Some pictures bring back good memories and some bring back bad ones but it got me thinking about how lucky I am to have him as my life partner.
We started our relationship during one of his deployments which isn’t exactly conventional but I feel so grateful for that experience because I truly think it is what makes us so close. We got to know each other in the most real way. No distractions from “real life” problems or people, you can’t get confused by the physical aspect of the relationship. We got to know each other in a true, deep way. I read a saying once that said “if the roots are deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” That’s how I feel about our marriage, love, friendship.
Below are just a few of the reasons I’m crushing on him today and always.
- He is so compassionate and loving
- Because he is so mellow I think it’s easy for him to come off as aloof but he’s not at all. He cares a lot about people and things and if you ask him he will do just about anything for you. I feel really grateful that I get to know that side of him.
- He’s dependable
- If I ask him to do something and he says he can/will, he does it. If he says he will be home at a certain time, he is. I know I can always trust his word and that is invaluable.
- He makes my dreams a reality
- This one is huge for me. In so many ways he has done this over the course of our relationship. He knows I wanted to stay home with Teagan and he did everything to make that happen. I wanted a blog, he built it. I wanted custom changes to my blog, he made them. I wanted shelves and a coffee bar, he built them. No matter how annoying, outlandish, or hard my dreams make his life, he makes them happen. I can’t ask for much more in terms of support than that.
- He’s a great dad
- Watching him with Teagan and seeing how much she adores him just makes my heart explode every day. I knew he was going to be an incredible father even before she was born just from watching him with other babies but how he actually turned out to be is far beyond all my hopes and dreams.
- His curiosity for learning and work ethic
- From high school he went straight into the military. No college degree. His background is in the intelligence field but he completely taught himself how to code. No degree, no classes, no certifications. Completely self-taught and is now a leader in his company and given me the ability to stay home while he bears the burden of all of our finances while continuing to teach himself new things every day. I feel really proud that Teagan will have him as an example of what hard work and drive can accomplish.
Our marriage isn’t perfect. Cary is definitely not perfect. He does a lot that pisses me off and some days I struggle to like him. I know the feeling is mutual but at the end of the day, he’s the best partner I could ever ask for and I know he was put on this earth for me. I will never care about the material things he can give me. I care about where he devotes his time, effort, attention, loyalty, and honesty. Day in and day out he shows me that all of those things are in the right place.
I think crushing on your husband/significant other privately, publicly, and in words is really important. While I know he never needs or even wants this type of validation, it’s important for me to make sure he knows just how much I value him and our marriage. I love you Cary-Lee!
Am I the only one feeling sappy on this rainy Thursday? 🙂