This week I decided to post about a dessert because my sweet tooth was going wild all week and I needed it satisfied in order to stay on the right track. I searched Pinterest high and low to find an apple crisp recipe that was completely complaint with my diet. I finally found one here and decided to give it a try.
I will say for being grain free, gluten free, dairy free and sugar free, it was pretty dang good. I will warn you the crumble on the top is not going to taste like your grandma’s recipe but it will satisfy that sweet craving. As for the apples, I could eat them alone all day, everyday.
I used Gala apples but you can use any type you prefer to bake with. If you want it even lower in sugar than go with granny smith.
I somehow always decide to cook at night so my pictures are a little dark but #momlife.
- 4 apples, cored and peeled
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract, divided (half in apples, half for crumble)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon, divided (Ihalf in apples, half for crumble)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Core, peel, and slice the apples (thinner is better). Toss the apples with the lemon juice and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Add 2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg and toss again. Place in an 8×8″ baking dish. It does not need to be greased.
- Melt the coconut oil, then mix in the almond flour, pecans, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apples, then sprinkle the remaining 1 tsp vanilla extract over everything.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes covered, then another 10-20 uncovered. You apples should be bubbling and fairly soft when you put a fork through them.
- ENJOY YOUR GUILT FREE DESSERT
Let me know if you try this and what you think of it! If anyone has any other complaint dessert recipes, please share them below!