I titled this essential oils for all phases for pregnancy because I believe that the TTC journey, pregnancy, delivery and postpartum journey are all part of the pregnancy journey too and they deserve to be included in this.
To start, I want to say I am not a medical professional and you should always consult with your doctor and do your research prior to using essential oils in these phases. What is in this post is based on my own resources and/or my own use and experiences.
For my TTC ladies, this section is for you.
I am going to list a few oils you should definitely get your hands on and why. Dilute all of these as necessary and apply to Vita Flex Points, groin area, or lower abdomen.
- Clary Sage: This is a single oil that is going to help regulate your menstural cycle. It does this by stimulating your pituitary gland which will then help products certain hormones that are imperative for reproduction.
- Dragon Time: This is a blend made specifically by Young Living with the female body in mind. It is made up of Clary Sage, Fennel, Lavender, Marjoram, Yarrow, and Jasmine. This oil is going to help balance your hormones while also aiding in emotional balancing which we know can have a lot to do with getting pregnant. Once you are pregnant, stop using this oil.
- Geranium: This single oil is great for both hormone and emotional balancing. It will also help regulate your cycle.
- Fennel: Use this during the beginning stages of your cycle to help regulate the cycle and also improve your hormonal functioning.
- Ylang Ylang: This single oil is going to help our reproductive organs work much more efficiently while also pushing them into high gear to get the job done. It is overall just a great reproductive supporter.
Oils for Pregnancy:
It’s no secret this pregnancy has been very difficult on me, especially the first 22 weeks or so. I’ve used and relied on essential oils quick a bit in a variety of ways so I figured I would share with you the main ways.
Digestive Support: Peppermint and Ginger were my go to oils when morning sickness got the best of me. Now I had Hyperemesis Gravidarum this pregnancy so oils alone were not enough for me but if I had normal morning sickness I think they would have. Nonetheless, I used them in my water, diffused them and sometimes just opened the bottle and took a deep breath.
I also used Digize as needed. I use to use it every night preventively but tried to only use it as needed during pregnancy due to the Tarragon in it. As with everything in life, moderation is key. I haven’t avoided any oils all together in pregnancy.
The product by Young Living called “Alkalime” has also been a life saver for me. This is a powder you put into water and drink but it has helped so much with my acid reflux/heartburn this pregnancy. It is an immediate relief which I love. It’s totally worth adding to your monthly order.
Skin/Stretch Mark Support:
- DIY Facial Serum: It’s not a secret that babies have a way of stealing your beauty and I looked haggard the first half of my pregnancy but I was determined not to let my skin take a hit. I made a DIY facial serum that is cheap and easy. In a glass dropper bottle, add 10 drops of each oil; Copaiba, Lavender and Frankincense then fill the rest with Jojoba oil. Apply a small amount to your face day and night.
- DIY Belly Butter: Praying for no added stretch marks this pregnancy so I made a belly butter infused with essential oils. I shared the step by step guide on my Instagram in a highlight labeled “ Belly Butter”. You can find my Instagram here.
Circulation Support: I didn’t have any issues with circulation in my last pregnancy but I figured it couldn’t hurt to get ahead of a situation since every pregnancy is different. I made a roller with Lemongrass, Cypress and fractionated coconut oil and rub it on my feet and ankles every night before bed to aid in healthy circulation. I started this in the 3rd trimester and so far no swelling of any kind. Keep that blood flowing ladies!
Sleep Support: I have to say that the insomnia that goes along with pregnancy might be one of the worst things about pregnancy. With my last pregnancy, I didn’t use essential oils and I never found something to help me aid in this naturally. I am really thankful to have natural remedies to insomnia this time around. I swear by my DIY pillow spray that you can find here. I spray it on my pillow every night before bed and I never wake up on those nights. The nights I forget to do it, I wake up about 5 times to pee and typically don’t feel back asleep for at least an hour after. Misery.
Energy Support: I use oils in a lot of ways for this. I apply them topically, diffuse them and ingest them but I have also really relied on some Young Living products to help me in that department as well.
Oils I love to diffuse for energy: En-R-Gee and Grapefruit together. Joy. White Angelica. Valor. Cinnamon. Eucalyptus. Any Citrus Oil.
Oils I love to apply topically for energy: #1 would be my unicorn roller. Everyday. You can find the recipe here. Any citrus oil is great. Valor is my go to oil. Endoflex.
Young Living Products I use daily for energy:
- Ningxia Red every day. Not only is this a great natural energy booster but it is so high in antioxidants, more than any amount of food you can eat. It’s also just SO DANG GOOD for your baby. This is something you 110% should be drinking everyday if you are pregnant. Additionally, it will aid in keeping your blood sugar and blood pressure regulated.
- Ningxia Zyng. This is essentially an all natural Red Bull without all the yucky ingredients. All natural and it carries about 35mg of caffeine which is honestly enough to give me a little pick me up. I don’t drink this everyday but a few times a week when I’m really dragging.
- MultiGreen Capsules. This are great if you are sick during pregnancy, aren’t a huge vegetable eater or really just anyone in general. They give us all those greens we need in a day in pill form. Those greens are even more important while pregnant. What I love about them is they are capsules, so if you would prefer you can open them and dump them in your orange juice or a smoothie. Good option for kiddos too!
Oils for Labor and Delivery/Postpartum Care:
Preparing for Delivery:
- 4-6 weeks prior to delivery, I am starting to use the ClaraDerm Spray daily on the perineum. This will hopefully lessen my chances of tearing or needing an episiotomy.
- About 4 weeks prior to delivery, I will begin using Clary Sage and Myrrh in a roller with a carrier oil on the same area.
- 2-3 weeks prior to delivery, I will continue doing both steps 1 & 2 but will add into the mix another roller. This roller will consist of Lavender and Geranium and a carrier oil. This is said to soften the cervix and help with effacement.
- To encourage dilation, I will use one drop of Clary Sage every 20 minutes around the anklebone and vitaflex points.
- ClaraDerm spray will be used during labor on the perineum, continue to use while pushing and after delivery as well.
- I will use Joy essential oil to help with mood boosting during labor and valor down my spine for pain.
- I will continue to use ClaraDerm directly on the vaginal area post delivery as it will hopefully prevent infection and aid in healing.
- Along with ClaraDerm, LavaDerm Spray is another great one to have to use on that area to provide a cooling sensation while also healing the skin.
- My milk did not fully come in with Teagan until 10 days post delivery so this time I will use take Fennel internally everyday while also rubbing on breasts. Make sure to wipe clean prior to nursing.
- Cypress, Lavender and Epsom Salts will all be used in the Sitz baths post baby daily to aid in the healing process.
In the case I have a C-Section:
- I will apply a generous amount of Lavender daily over the incision area to promote healing.
- Helichrysum will also be applied daily as it will encourage healing, heal tissue and prevent bleeding.
- I will also keep ClaraDerm spray on hand for any itchness that may come up during the healing process.
Additional Items I’m bringing to the Hospital:
- Thieves Hand Purifier- Because germs
- My pillow spray because I didn’t sleep at all after my epidural or the two days post delivery I spent in the hospital. You can find that recipe here.
- My Immunity Roller which consists of Thieves, Purification, Lemon, Peppermint and Copaiba.
- Deep Relief Essential Oil- Because everything was sore post delivery and this is great for all those muscles.
- Gentle Baby Essential Oil for Baby Boy- just watch this video and you’ll see why.
- My Unicorn and Happy Roller. You can find the Unicorn Roller blend here and the Happy Roller here.
- My Stress Away Roll-on- Because duh.
- Frankincense- Because it’s just an overall good oil to have in any situation.
I will likely bring a lot more when the time comes but this is my plan as of now.
I really hope you all find this post helpful no matter what stage you are currently in. If you have other tips or oils you think I should bring, please leave them in the comments below. I would love to hear them! Feel free to share this post with all your mama friends in similar stages of life! 🙂
If you are interested in essential oils or wanting to get started, check out my page here with lots of helpful information. I would love to have you on our team!
*** Any suggestions made on this blog are only specific to Young Living essential oils and should not be used with oils from another source. Statements made on this website about Young Living Essential Oils have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician. If you are currently on medication, please do not stop.